Tuesday 11 June 2013

Recycle and re-buy British

It used to pain me, the way my parents and grandparents labelled us the ‘throw away’ generation.
“It’s not worth replacing, it’ll cost almost as much as buying new,” I would argue. Or “Don’t blame us, were the consumers not the manufacturers.”
But now as a parent myself, a little older and slightly more responsible (!), I now discover myself agreeing with them to a certain degree, but don’t let on.

Now I’m not saying every product built today is inferior to those of yesteryear, that would be ridiculous, although quite why advancements in technology and our so called increased intelligence do not allow the smartphone devices we urgently rely upon today to last longer than a couple of years annoys me, but I guess that’s the point, intelligence has taught us that we need to replace items frequently to maintain positive economical sustainment. Confusing isn’t it?

Whilst I do find myself reluctantly accepting of shorter product lifecycles, I am also instinctively becoming more attracted to older and solidly made items particularly with interior and exterior furniture and now more recently garden tools.



A fairly large 10 foot+ high privet hedge borders one side of my property, and unable to maintain it myself satisfactorily I employed a local gardener to do the job, a sole trader of 30 years, the ‘knows his onions’ experienced type as opposed to the new ‘landscaping and garden design company’ leaf blowing variety.
“Only time I can do is 7.30am on Saturday.”
“Fine I’ll see you then.”
“Bit harsh on the neighbours to fire up the garden machinery that early, don’t you think?” my wife quite rightly comments later.
“It’ll be fine; it’s the only time he could do.” I respond resolutely.

7.28am said gardener appears and begins unloading his tools, and to my neighbours unknowing delight there’s not a powered hedge trimmer in sight.
“You could be here a while.” I jokingly suggest.
“Nah, it’s not a big job, I’ll get through it pretty quickly and you’ll have a much better finish with these,” he replies holding hand shears that wouldn't look out of place in a British Garden Tool Museum. (Is there one? If not there should be.)


Further discussion uncovers his enthusiasm for using older tools. Yes, of course he equips himself with faster power tools for certain larger jobs, unfortunately for him as with all of us now ‘time is money’. But generally his tool collection was sourced from car boot sales and ‘his little grinding and sharpening man’ round the corner.
“Just look out for the Sheffield steel variety, all wooden handles can be easily replaced if needed, and a quick service will provide you with a tool unrivaled by most on the market today at a fraction of the price.” He informs me.


As I trial his long arm lawn-edge shears, I can’t fault his logic, the weight and solidness of the design all add the effectiveness and ease of their function. I fail to show or indeed mention my not long acquired, made in SE Asia, cheap, ergonomically handled and light weight variety that honestly struggles with the same task, tucked away in my shed.

So when you’re next perusing the tool aisles of your local garden center being seduced by the overwhelming and technology advanced varieties available, and unsure whether to invest in a new well made (yes, they do exist) dearer model or taking the cheaper option, bear a thought to the 30 years experience of my new garden savvy friend and take a visit to your local car boot, check eBay (some lovely vintage examples on garden tools, auction only listing, at time of writing) or seek out an independent tool servicing business to source well made items at agreeable prices.

Your new found frugalness may be counter-intuitive to the frequently preached and encouraged public spending policies that exist to defy the global recession, but remember with an annual service of these tools you are still investing your hard earned coffers in the service industry and combining that with extremely effective recycling.


Cripes, sorry for the mild business economics theme there, all I really wanted to do was show you how lovely this old hoe was!


1 comment:

  1. Loving your work Seb....leave FB to the pleb majority and empty your thoughts into something constructive and informative, well done, warms me cockles it does...."I've got a sniffle :o((((( and off for my elevensies :o)

    ReplyDelete